These are some brownies that Bobby Clarke would really love to sink his teeth (errr… dentures) into. Known for his toothless grin and gritty play, Bobby won over the fans in Philadelphia despite dropping to the second round of the 1969 NHL draft. Over the next decade, Clarke became one of the best scorers, leaders and personalities in the game. Clarke wore the captain’s C on his chest for both of the Flyers’ Stanley Cup seasons and owns a host of franchise records such as most points and best plus/minus (a whopping +506!). Along with these franchise marks, Clarke also received league wide recognition winning several awards including 3 Hart Memorial Trophies as league MVP and a Selke award as the best defensive forward in the game.
Clarke’s hard nose style was appreciated in Philadelphia, but elsewhere in the league he was infamous. Players and coaches league wide were often angered by some of his tactics, some going as far as to call him the ‘dirtiest player in the game.’ Still, Clarke was epitome of loyal, playing for only two teams in his career the Flyers and his home town team, the Flin Flon Bombers.
Bobby’s legacy only grew once his playing days were over as he went on to have two stints as the Flyers’ general manager. The teams he put together went to two Stanley Cup finals and were often near the top of the league. Bobby remains with the team today as a senior vice president.
I thought I would put a spin on my own Bochi’s (Grandma) brownies. I had to search far and wide to obtain the chocolatey, peanut buttery candy known as the Clark(e) Bar, but it was worth it. I think Bobby would approve.
Bobby Clark(e) Bar Brownies
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 2 large eggs
- 7 Tbsp of cocoa powder
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- a pinch of salt
- 5 Hershey bars
- 3 Clark Bars
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter & sugar in a large bowl.
- Add cocoa powder and throughly mix.
- Using a hand mixer on high, add the two eggs, beaten. Followed by the flour, salt, & vanilla.
- Add 2 crushed up Clark Bars!
- Grease a 8×8 pan and add mixture, smoothing it out evenly with a spatula.
- Pop the brownies into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Once brownies are out of the oven, lay whole Hershey bars on top and let sit for a minute til they melt. Using a spoon, spread the melted chocolate over the brownies and finnish with more crushed Clark Bars.
Check out this recipe on the Broad Sweet Bullies website