They used to say only God saves more than Bernie Parent and he has the eternal gratitude of the Flyers fans to prove it. Flyers fans of today remember Parent for the two championships and his shutout streak. Parent still holds the franchise records for most career playoff and regular season shutouts and playoff wins. He also racked up his fair share of hardware winning two Vezina trophies as the leagues top netminder and a pair of Conn Smythe trophies as the playoffs MVP.
On a personal level, Bernie has played a crucial part in my fandom because he was my mom’s favorite player. Her appreciation for him continues today as she named her cat Bernie Purrrrent in his honor. While I never got a chance to see him in his prime, I was fortunate enough to see him play in the alumni game at the Winter Classic (where he posted a shutout).
I can’t think of a better way to honor such a sweet career than with this Bernie Pear-ent Nutella tart. Combining caramelized pears and a flakey tart crust, the desert is simple yet bursting with flavor, with hints of brown sugar and cinnamon.
Bernie PEAR-ent Nutella Tart
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), melted
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- Heat the oven to 350°F
- Combine the butter, sugar, and salt in a large bowl and stir until evenly incorporated. Add the measured flour and stir until just combined and a soft dough forms. I added some cinnamon to the mixture as well. Feel free to add any spices or extracts to bump up the flavor in your crust.
- Sprinkle the dough over the bottom of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Using your fingers, press down and evenly distribute the dough in the bottom of the pan and up the sides. The dough should only be about a 1/4 inches thick.
- Cover the tart shell with plastic wrap and let it rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Once chilled, prick it all over with a fork and bake until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before filling and removing from the pan.
- 4 pears
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/4 cup of Nutella
- 2 Tbsp of heavy cream
- Slice pears about a 1/2 inch thick and set aside.
- Over a large frying pan, combine butter and brown sugar over medium heat until the mixture starts to bubble.
- Fold pears into brown sugar mixture and let simmer for 5 minutes
- Remove the pan from heat and let chill in the refrigerator.
- Once cool, arrange pears in a pinwheel pattern in tart shell and let sit.
Over a double boiler, combine Nutella and heavy cream. Whisk until smooth and then drizzle over the cooled tart.
Check out this recipe on the Broad Sweet Bullies website