So far, through free agency, the Eagles have made some improvements, and addressed some key needs. Most teams will say that you cannot win a championship in free agency, but you can add a key piece to the championship puzzle during that time. What intrigues me most now, though, is not who has signed where during, but the 2013 Draft. With that in mind, let’s take a look at a mock draft for the first ten teams.
1. Kansas City- Hard to think they would take anyone but Luke Joeckel out of Texas A&M here. They retained Branden Albert, but he could be moved to the right side to make room for Joeckel. He fits a huge need for the Chiefs, and, unless Reid has found someone willing to jump up and trade away a ton for this pick, look for Joeckel to be the first man to have his name called in late April.
2. Jacksonville- Now, already, this is where we could see some drama. T Eric Fisher from Central Michigan certainly fills a need. Ziggy Ansah, from BYU, would certainly fill a need. But, for me, the pick here should do two things: energize your dwindling fan base and create buzz in the area. With that in mind, look for the Jags to stay close to home and take Shariff Floyd, DT, out of Florida.
Oakland- Wow. What really can be said here. After years of just puzzling drafts, the Raiders, once again, are in the top part of the draft. And, like all teams in this spot, they have many needs to fill. I would have said DT Star Loutouleili out of Utah here, but, the pre-Combine heart condition might be too much of a red flag. With that in mind, give DE Ziggy Ansah the nod here, out of BYU.
4. Philadelphia- I keep seeing and reading about this slot being in a state of flux. One day, many people are saying that the Eagles will select DE Dion Jordan out of Oregon, and reunite him with Chip Kelly. Other days, I hear the pick will be QB Geno Smith out of West Virginia. For my money, and, since it would address a huge need, I’d go with CB Dee Milliner out of Alabama.
5. Detroit- Again, so many needs to fill, so many possibilities on how to fill them. If he falls this far, and again, it’s a pick to create buzz and stay local, if you will, look for the Lions, who lost both of their tackles, one to retirement, one through free agency, to take Fisher at this spot.
6. Cleveland- They have been spending some of that truckstop money in free agency, but this team still needs some work. As always, if you are picking this high in the draft, then, your defense wasn’t all that great. I like the Browns to take Jordan at this spot.
7. Arizona- Here is where Day 1 of the Draft could really get interesting. Arizona has been looking for a QB, it seems, for forever. And, sitting at this spot, could be Geno Smith, who had an outstanding pro day. Larry Fitzgerald still has some great years left. It would be a shame to ask him to work with career back-up QB’s again. Send Smith to the Cardinals.
8. Buffalo- If Arizona doesn’t take Smith, the Bills, who just released their QB, will snap him up at this spot. But, in this draft, since Smith is already off the board, so to speak, the Bills need to go elsewhere. EJ Manuel might be available to them in the 2nd round, so, Buffalo needs to address another need. Jarvis Jones, PLB, out of Georgia, goes here, if Smith is already taken.
9. New York Jets- A lot of what is going to happen here will hinge on what will happen with the Darrelle Revis situation. Will they trade him? Will they keep him? Who knows? If he stays, I can see G Chance Warmack, from Alabama, going here, and pair him with Ferguson, to solidify their O-line.
10. Tennessee- A team that provided some exciting moments last season, they lost some key players in free agency. But, don’t look for them to try to replace a TE this high. If they go strictly defense, then look for S Kenny Vaccaro, out of Texas, to be taken here. If they decide to go offense, look for the Titans to select WR Cordarrelle Patterson, out of Tennessee, and give the Titans an absolutely solid WR corps.
OK, ten picks down. In my next post, we will go picks 11-20. And, as always, all of these picks will be in a state of constant motion until we actually get to April 25th.
Fly Eagles Fly!!!!