6-ABC News has reported what many of us familiar with the situation had feared the most. Garret Reid, Eagles coach Andy Reid’s son, passed away as a result of an accidental heroin overdose.
Garret, 29-years old, was found dead in his dorm room at Lehigh University on August 5th, 2012. He had been staying with the team for training camp.
Garret’s struggles with addiction were no secret to Eagles fans. But after a number of arrests, Garret seemed to have finally gotten himself together and made significant strides in his road to recovery. But Andy Reid did allude to the fact that his death could’ve been a result of his demons.
According to a USA Today report, Northampton District attorney John Morganelli was quoted as saying that a syringe, spoon, and 19 vials of an unidentified liquid substance were found along with Garret.
Per Philly.com, here is Andy Reid’s official statement on behalf of his family:
“These results sadly confirmed what we had expected all along. We understood that Garrett’s long-standing battle with addiction was going to be difficult. He will, however, always have our family’s love and respect for the courage he showed in trying to overcome it. In the end, we take comfort in our faith and know that he’s in a better place. We miss Garrett. We miss his smile, his laugh, and his energy and we will forever love him.
“There are many other individuals and families engaged in this struggle in their own lives, and they will always have our support, encouragement, and understanding. Never give up!”
Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with the Reid family throughout this difficult time.